Sunday 19 May 2013

Toon Teeken / Broodthaers-El Greco-Van der Weyden




Marcel Broodthaers
Langage de fleurs
1965
wood, paint, plastic
30 cm diameter



El Greco
Laocoön
1608-1614
oil on linen
142 x 193 cm



Rogier van der Weyden
Deposition
ca. 1435-1440
oil on oak panel
220 x 262 cm



In the course of time I have been influenced by different artists from different disciplines: El Greco, Giacometti, Manet, Bonnard, Carpaccio, all the Italian Renaissance, Pierre Boulez, De Chirico, Rothko, Elliott Carter, Hanne Darboven, Teresa de Keersemaeker, Rogier van der Weyden, Monteverdi, Marcel Proust, Marcel Broodthaers, Helmut Lachenmann and many others. I deliberately do not mention them in chronological order. Besides philosophy, my travels in West Afrika, a lot of contemporary music and the daily practice of life, especially El Greco and Marcel Broodthaers have been decisive. From the latter I saw a retrospective in Brussels and there I recognized language as image and image as language. Language as unlimited generator of meaning that also swallows up meaning. Maybe I also saw that very early in El Greco, whose free hand of painting makes the picture appear as readable calligraphy in an abstract, relatively flat space. Early on I called him the first cubist. But I guess the best work I've ever seen is the Deposition by Rogier van der Weyden at the Museo del Prado in Madrid.
Toon Teeken 2013


 
Toon Teeken (NL)
Being a statue
2011
oil on linen
160 x 200 cm




No comments:

Post a Comment