Friday 21 October 2022

Ruben Bellinkx / Stanley Kubrick

 


Stanley Kubrick

Still from the film The Shining

1980

35mm, colour, sound, 146’

 

 


When I first saw Stanley Kubrick's film 'The Shining' 25 years ago, the famous elevator scene left a deep impression on me. So much that there was a period that every new idea for a work of art was measured against this scene. 

In this scene (which is a work of art in itself), we are presented with a very aesthetic and balanced image that is at the same time very disturbing. With very recognisable elements, an unseen situation is created that we are left guessing about. I am also looking for this tension and contradiction in my own work. For me, good art should seduce and wring.

 

Ruben Bellinkx, 2022 





Ruben Bellinkx (BE)

Still from the film Double Bind

2020

35mm, colour, sound, 11’04

www.rubenbellinkx.com



No comments:

Post a Comment