Saturday 17 July 2021

Jacomijn den Engelsen / Erik Andriesse


Erik Andriesse 
Sunflowers 
1987
acrylic on linen 
200 x 280 cm 

 

When I first saw Erik Andriesse's (1957-1983) work in the early 1980s, I was struck by the enormous vitality that emanates from his drawings and paintings of flowers. The vigor of the plants is splashing out and shimmering in the background. This intensity is still inspiring me. The power of his work convinced me that realism could also be 'cool' and working from close observation a valid starting point for great art. I really like the combination of the graphic with the painterly that Andriesse has often worked with. He made some great woodcuts. The freedom with which Erik Andriesse has used his visual means is something I still strive for. 

Jacomijn den Engelsen, 2021



Jacomijn den Engelsen 
Sunflowers 2 
2005 
woodcut 
120 x 80 cm 



Jacomijn den Engelsen (NL)
Field
2008 
woodcut
100 x 160 cm 
www.jacomijndenengelsen.nl
rk



No comments:

Post a Comment