Saturday 1 November 2014

Denitsa Todorova / Rembrandt




Rembrandt
Danaë (detail)
1636
oil on canvas
185 x 203 cm
Hermitage Museum, Sint-Petersburg


By picking up symbols from the surroundings I create my own imaginary world: a picturesque twist, based on mystery illuminations and visual poetry. What I find essential is the state of the emotions that the viewer encounters after seeing my works... My works are very much influenced by perceptions of life and death, Christian orthodox religion, history of art, my childhood memories and the interactions with the surroundings. I have been deeply moved by the painting Danae by Rembrandt, one of his most magnificent works.

I challenged myself to represent the ideal of female beauty and the passion felt by a woman when she sees her lover. In the three portraits dedicated to this masterpiece I focused on the fata morgana illusion of something that we want to see but is not present and the imperfect conversion process by which live models were transformed into mythological figures.
Denitsa Todorova, 2014




Denitsa Todorova (BG/BE)
Rembrandt was here
2014
oil on canvas
50 x 60 cm  
www.denitsatodorova.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment