Saturday 12 February 2022

Cas van Deurssen / Cy Twombly



Cy Twombly

Triumph of Galatea

1961

oil, crayon, pencil on canvas

294,3 x 483,5 cm  




Cy Twombly

Untitled (Notes from a Tower)

1961

pencil drawing, wax chalks and colour pen

33,2 x 35,5 cm

 



I recall seeing Cy Twombly’s work for the first time. It was during the first year of the academy when an old teacher of mine showed us a book that contained Twombly's work. He held it up in the air and mentioned that most of us will probably dislike it at first, but that we will love it the moment we graduate. For me, this was not the case. 

There was something intriguing about that book. Something so far fetched regarding my ideas of what I considered art at that moment, but still I was sold. The more I looked at it, the more curious I became. 

 

The works created in the 1960’s caught my attention in particular. Large scale paintings and drawings mainly consisting of smudges, scribbles, texts, somewhat recognisable shapes, and various symbols. 

 

The works from this era arise from various classical themes, myths, poems and to me most reflect Twombly’s background as a cryptologist. Somehow these works look rushed, but exude a sense of calm. The rhythmic compositions feel bound together by dirty graffiti-like gestures contrasting cryptic figures that have the ability to shift meaning and prompt curiosity. The way Twombly transforms his sources into his own visual language is what I feel related to as an artist. An inspiration that sometimes fades away but will always find a way back to make a fresh appearance.

 

Cas van Deurssen, 2022





Cas van Deurssen

Melkruimte-plus

2020
oilpaint, acrylic, spraypaint, silicon, collage on canvas

235 x 190 cm





Cas van Deurssen (NL)

Apollo Hotel

2021

Acrylic, spraypaint, airbrush, silicon, collage on canvas

(3x) 235 x 190 cm

www.casvandeurssen.com


No comments:

Post a Comment