Saturday 16 January 2021

Ivo Ringe / Josef Albers

 


Josef Albers

Change Directions

1942 

oil on chipboard

66 x 80,5 cm 

acquired 1989 © The Josef and Anni Albers Foundation / VG Bild-Kunst, Bonn 2020

 

 

 

'The concern of the artist is with the discrepancy between physical fact and psychological effect.' 

Josef Albers, quote from: 'Albers Paints a Picture' Elaine de Kooning, Art News 49, November 1950, p. 40; as quoted in Abstract Expressionist Painting in America, W.C, Seitz, Cambridge Massachusetts, 1983, p.67

 

'For me, abstraction is real, probably more real than nature. I'll go further and say that abstraction is nearer my heart. I prefer to see with closed eyes.' 

Josef Albers, quoted in: Arts/Canada, Vol. 23 (1966), p.46

 

I think these pictures clearly show my connection to Josef Albers. Very clearly the avoidance of the vertical and horizontal and the 90 degree angle. Okay, Albers later returned to the 90 degree angle and the vertical/horizontal in the square. Now the square, i.e. the 1:1 proportion, is also the proportion of wealth and money. He was living in the USA during this time. 

For me the earlier years are more interesting. When he researched even more into the diversity of forms and not just into the diversity of color values, on which he later focused his research.

 

Ivo Ringe, 2020






Ivo Ringe (DE)

St. Yves

2016

30 x 24 cm

oil on linen 

www.ivoringe.com

rk


1 comment:

  1. Hey there just wanted to give you a quick heads up and let you know a few of the pictures aren't loading correctly. I'm not sure why but I think its a linking issue. I've tried it in two different web browsers and both show the same results.homewares wall art

    ReplyDelete